The Last Saturday (of 2006)
As the New Year approaches, many stations are carrying special programming. Among several interesting performances available this afternoon, the one that piques our curiosity is the Meistersinger from Espace 2 with Klaus Florian Vogt as Walther (we were very impressed with his "stealth" performances as Lohengrin at the end of last season at the Met ("stealth" because the New York Times shamefully never reviewed his debut!). Also there are still a number of reruns of 2006 Salzburg Festival performances circulating.
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - An early December performance from the Vienna State opera of Strauss' Arabella with Adrianne Pieczonka, Thomas Hampson, Genia Kühmeier, Michael Schade, Wolfgang Bankl, Daniela Denschlag, John Dickie, Adrian Eröd, Johannes Wiedecke, Daniela Fally andJanina Baechle, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst.
- DR P2 - A performance from Toulouse of Delibes Pearlfishers with Barbara Hendricks, John Aler, Gino Quilico and Jean-Philippe Courtis, conducted by Michel Plasson.
- France Musique - A concert performance given by Opera Lyon of Lehar's La Veuve Joyeuse (a French version of Die Lustige Witwe), with Véronique Gens, Ivan Ludlow and Gordon Gietz.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From the 2006 Salzburg Festival, Mozart's La Finta Giardiniera, with John Mark Ainsley, Ruxandra Donose, Véronique Gens, John Graham Hall, Alexandra Reinprecht, Markus Werba and Adriana Kucerová, conducted by Ivor Bolton.
- Dwojke Polskie Radio - A June 2006 performance from the Marinsky Theater in St. Petersburg of Schostakovich's The Nose, with Vladislav Sulimsky, Edem Umerom, Tatiana Kravtsova, Andrei Popov, Michail Latyshev, Sergei Semishkur, Gennady Bezzubenkov, Larisa Shevchenko and Tatiana Pavlovskaya, conducted by Valery Gergiev.
- Metropolitan Opera (numerous stations) - the broadcast debut of its new abridged version of Mozart's The Magic Flute, performed in English, with Matthew Polenzani, Nathan Gunn, Ying Yuang, Erika Miklosa, Wendy Bryn Harmer, Kate Lindsey, Tamara Mumford, Jennifer Aylmer, Morris Robinson and Gregg Fedderley, conducted by James Levine . SInce this performance only lasts about 90 minutes, expect some stations to carry operatic filler afterward.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk and NRK P2 - From Berwald Hall in Stockholm, a September performance of Grieg's Peer Gynt, with Marita Kvarving Sølberg, Itziar Martinez Galdos and Trond Halstein Moe, conducted by Rolf Gupta.
- Radio Oesterreich International - From the 2006 Salzburg Festival, Mozart's Idomeneo, with Robert Gambill, Britta Stallmeister, Iris Vermillion, Camilla Nylund, Christoph Pohl, Jacques-Greg Belobo and Rainer Büsching, conducted by Fabio Luisi.
- NPR World of Opera ( WVIK and YPR) - From Washington National Opera, a performance of Rossini's La Cenerentola with Sonia Ganassi, Jesus Garcia, Alfonso Antoniozzi, Simone Alberghini and Paolo Pecchioli, conducted by Riccardo Frizza. WMUK will be airing last week's NPR offering, a Milwuakee Symphony concert performance of Humperdinck's Hänsel and Gretel with Heidi Grant Murphy, Susanne Mentzer, Judith Forst, Robert Orth, Janice Taylor and Anna Christy, conducted by Andreas Delfs.
- Espace 2 - A December 7th performance from Grand Théâtre de Genève of Wagners Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, with Klaus Florian Vogt, Toby Spence, Anja Harteros, Fredrika Brillembourg, Albert Dohmen, Dietrich Henschel, Walter Fink, Josef Wagner, Andrew Greenan, André Post, Ivan Matiakh, Henry Moss, Bernhard Spingler, Mark Richardson and Martin Snell, conducted by Klaus Weise.
- Klara - Yet another iteration of La Scala's Opening Night Aida with Violeta Urmana, Roberto Alagna, Ildiko Komlosy, conducted by Riccardo Chailly.
- Latvia Radio Klaika , Radio Tre (RAI) and Sveriges Radio P2 - From Covent garden, a December 19th performance of Bizet's Carmen with Anne Katerina Antonacci, Jonass Kaufmans, Ildebrando d’Arkandgelo and Nora Amsellem, conducted by Antonio Papano.
- Musiq3 - Offenbach's Orphée aux Enfers with Marie Devellereau, Christine Solhosse, Natacha Kowalski, Magali Mayenne, Alain Gabriel, Jean-François Vinciguerra, Jean-Philippe Corre, conducted by Didier Benetti.
- NDR Kultur - From Hannover, a July performance of Mozart's Die Entführung aus dem Serail with Elena Mosuc, Lenneke Ruiten, Steve Davislim, Andreas Winkler, Michail Schelomianski and Herbert Feuerstein, conducted by Alessandro de Marchi.
- After the Met - Between 4:00PM and 6:00PM EST, WHRB will be airing a recording of Humperdinck's As the New Year approaches, many stations are carrying special programming
- After the Met - Between 4:00PM and 6:00PM EST, WHRB will be airing a recording of Humperdinck's Hänsel and Gretel; WOMR will be playing a recording of Johan Strauss II's A Night in Venice; and WQXR will be playing the newly released recording (from a live performance) of Lorraine Hunt Lieberson singing Peter Lieberson's Neruda Songs.
Happy listening through the end of this year and on into Next Year!!!
Labels: Saturday Operas