Live Offerings - Saturday, December 19, 2009
The strongest, most interesting choice today is probably the Met Tales of Hoffmann broadcast, but there are other offerings worth a look as well. WWFM is re-airing the Bayreuth Meistersinger from this past summer; Deutschlandradio Kultur offers another chance to hear Klaus Florian Vogt in Korngold's Die Tode Stadt from Frankfurt; NPR World of Opera is airing Handel's Ariodante from this past summer's Beaune Baroque Opera Festival with Karina Gauvin; several stations are carrying a Geneva performance of Chabrier's L'Etoile with Jean-Paul Fouchécourt; Radio Tre and Radio Oesterreich International offer Tristan und Isolde from the Vienna State Opera with Robert Dean Smith and Violetta Urmana; and Czech Radio is airing Gounod's Faust with Piotr Beczala and Soile Isokoski (if one doesn't think of Kwangchul Youn as a liability...).
Now for the details:
- Deutschlandradio Kultur - From Oper Frankfurt am Main, a November 22 performance of Korngold's Die Tote Stadt, with Klaus Florian Vogt, Tatiana Pavlovskaya, Michael Nagy, Hedwig Fassbender, Anna Ryberg, Jenny Carlstedt, Julian Prégardien and Hans-Jürgen Lazar, conducted by Leitung: Sebastian Weigle.
- Espace 2, Dwojke Polskie Radio, NRK Klassisk & NRK P2 - From the Grand Théâtre in Geneva, a November 9 performance of Chabrier's L'Etoile, with Jean-Paul Fouchécourt, René Schirrer, Jean Doyen, Fabrice Farina, Marie-Claude Chappuis, Blandine Staskiewicz and Jérôme Savary, conducted by Jean-Yves Ossonce.
- Metropolitan Opera (on numerous stations) - Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann, with Kathleen Kim, Anna Netrebko, Ekaterina Gubanova, Kate Lindsey, Joseph Calleja and Alan Held, conducted by James Levine.
- NPR World of Opera - From the International Baroque Opera Festival in Beaune, France, Handel's Ariodante, with Ann Hallenberg, Karina Gauvin, Maarten Engeltjes, Jael Azzaretti,; Krystian Adam and; Sergio Foresti, conducted by Federco Maria Sardelli.
- WWFM - From this past summer's Bayreuth Festival, Wagner's Die Meistersinger, with Alan Titus, Artur Korn, Charles Reid, Rainer Zaun, Adrian Eröd, Markus Eiche, Edward Randall, Hans-Jürgen Lazar, Florian Hoffmann, Martin Snell, Hans Schwarz Mario Klein, Diógenes Randes, Klaus Florian Vogt, Norbert Ernst, Michaela Kaune, Carola Guber and Friedemann Röhlig, conducted by Sebastian Weigle.
- Radio Oesterreich International (OE1) & Radio Tre (RAI) - From the Vienna State Opera, a December 14 performance of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, with Robert Dean Smith, Violetta Urmana, Yvonne Naef, Bo Skovhus, Franz-Josef Selig, Clemens Unterreiner, Wolfgang Bankl, Gergely Nemeti and Peter Jelosits, conducted by Simon Rattle.
- Cesky Rozhlas 3-Vltava - From the Vienna State Opera, Gounod's Faust, with Piotr Beczala, Kwangchul Youn, Boaz Daniel, Soile Isokoski, Zoryana Kushpler, Hans Peter Kammerer, Roxana Constantinescu, conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
This being the week before Christmas, there are many opportunities to hear Handel's Messiah (by my count I have entered eight for this week!), including a gem of a performance I heard the other evening with the New York Philharmonic, Helmut Rilling conducting a the Philharmonic's chamber orchestra with the Gächinger Kantorei Stuttgart. The soloists are all more than respectable, but the glory of this performance is the utter clarity and beauty of the choral singing. There will be more than one chance to hear it (unfortunately abridged to fit a two hour time slot - the performance included all three parts and ran about an hour and a half), as many stations in the U.S. will be carrying it as part of their NY Philharmonic series this week.
Happy listening - and Merry Christmas to all!