From Poliuto to Anna Russell - This Weekend on Operacast
Casanove tackles Poliuto ... a couple of Salzburg Festival rebroadcasts (Lucio Silla and Don Giovanni) ... Rossini's Il Turco in Italia from Lausanne ... La Fille du Regiment from Covent Garden with Dessay and Florez ... Opening Night at the Met - Madama Butterfly with Gallardo-Domas and Giordano (although we would have preferred the Met's live offering for today - a nice-looking Traviata with Hei Kyung Hong) ... Cimarosa rarities from RAI in broadcasts from RAI's archives, with the likes of Bruscantini ... from the Antipodes, the Met's one-act Magic Flute in English, in case you missed it several weeks back ... Anna Russell has the last laugh
Now for the more detailed listings of the live offerings for this weekend:
- Radio 4 Netherlands - AT 8:00AM EST, will be airing a performance of Donizetti's Poliuto, with Majella Cullagh, Francisco Casanova, Thomas Walker, Salvatore Cordella, Nicola Alaimo and Giovanni Battista Parodi, conducted by Giuliano Carella. We are particular curious to see how Casanova will fare in this most difficult role (he has alrady done well in the tenor role in Vespri in recent months).
- DR P2, DR P2 Klassisk & Latvia Radio Klasika - A performance of Verdi's Stiffelio, featuring the Bucharest/Romanian Radio Chorus and Orchestra, with Emanuel Ion, Calin Bratescu, Oana Andra and Valentin Racoveanu, conducted by Nayden Todorov.
- France Musique - From Opera Bastille in Paris, a concert performance of Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier, with Anne Schwanewilms, Franz Hawlata, Vesselina Kasarova, Olaf Bär, Heidi Grant-Murphy and Tomislav Muzek, conducted by Philippe Jordan.
- Radio 4 Netherlands - For their main opera offering for the day, a performance from Neues Palais in Sanssouci in Potsdam of Galuppi's Le nozze di Dorina, with Maria Grazia Schiavo, Xenia Meijer and Joseph Cornwell, conducted by Sergio Azzolini.
- WMUK (NPR World of Opera) & Cesky Rozlhas 3-Vltava - A performance from Lausanne, Switzerland, of Rossini's Il Turco in Italia, with Inga Kalna, Kenneth Tarver, Riccardo Novaro, Brigitte Hool, Simone Alaimo, Alberto Rinaldi and Davide Cicchetti, conducted by Paolo Arrivabeni.
- BBC Radio 3 - A performance of Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment, recorded at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, with Natalie Dessay, Juan Diego Florez, Felicity Palmer, Alessandro Corbelli, Donald Maxwell, Bryan Secombe and Dawn French, conducted by Bruno Campanella.
- NRK Alltid Klassisk & NRK P2 - From the Vienna State Opera, a December 9th performance of Strauss' Arabella, with Adrianne Pieczonka, Genia Kühmeier, Thomas Hampson and Michael Schade, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst.
- Toll Brothers Metropolitan Opera Broadcast (numerous stations) - The Met's Opening Night performance from September 25th of Puccini's Madama Butterfly, with Cristina Gallardo-Domâs, Marcello Giordani, Maria Zifchak, Dwayne Croft, Greg Fedderly and James Courtney, conducted by James Levine.
- Sveriges Radio P2 - From the 2006 Salzburg Destival, a rebroadcast of Mozart's Lucio Silla, with Roberto Saccà, Annick Massis, Monica Bacelli, Veronica Cangemi, Julia Kleiter and Stefano Ferrari, conducted by Tomáš Netopil.
- Radio Oesterreich International - A rebroadcast of the December 23rd Metropolitan Opera performance of Verdi's Don Carlo, with Johan Botha, Patricia Racette, Olga Borodina, Dimitri Hvorostovsky, René Pape and Samuel Ramey, conducted by James Levine.
- WVIK (NPR World of Opera) - Another performance from the 2006 Salzburg Festival - Mozart's Don Giovanni, with Thomas Hampson, Christine Schäfer, Ildebrando d'Arcangelo, Michaele Kaune, Piotr Beczala, Isabel Bayrakdarian, Luca Pisaroni and Robert Lloyd, conducted by Daniel Harding.
- Klara - From Vienna State opera, a performance of Bellini's La Sonnambula, with Michele Pertusi, Anna Netrebko, Antonino Siragusa, Simina Ivan, Marcus Pelz, Janina Baechle, and Johann Reinprecht, conducted by Pier Giorgio Morandi.
- RBB Kultur - From the Schlosstheater im Neuen Palais im Rahmen der Musikfestspiele Potsdam Sanssouci, a June 2006 performance of Haydn's Die Feuersbrunst oder das abgebrannte Haus (Hob. XXIXb:A), with Otto Katzameier, Andreas Karasiak, Isa Gehrike and Ferdinand von Bothmer, conducted by Andreas Spering.
- Radio Tre (RAI) - This weekend, RAI's Esercizi di memoria program of archival broadcasts features three Cimarosa operas. On Saturday evening, listen in to (A) a 1958 Naples broadcast of Cimarosa'a one-act opera, La baronessa stramba, with Elena Rizzieri, Paolo Montarsolo, Leonardo Monreale, Gino Sinimberghi, Rosanna Giancola and Angelica Tuccari, Orchestra dell'Associazione Alessandro Scarlatti di Napoli della Rai, conducted by Franco Caracciolo; and (B) Act 1 of a 1965 Milan broadcast of La vanità delusa o Il mercato di Malmantile, with Dora Gatta, Giuliana Raimondi, Maria Grazia Ciferri, Gino Sinimberghi, Carlo Franzini, Renzo Gonzales and Gian Ciavola, Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano della Rai, conducted by Ferruccio Scaglia. On Sunday evening tune in for two more Cimarosa rarities: (A) Act 2 of La vanità delusa o Il mercato di Malmantile; and (B) a 1963 Naples broadcast of L'impresario in angustie, an opera in one act, with Laura Londi, Gianna Galli, Dora Gatta, Pietro Bottazzo, Sesto Bruscantini, Italo Tajo and Renzo Gonzales, Orchestra Alessandro Scarlatti di Napoli della Rai, conducted by Luigi Colonna.
- Concert FM (New Zealand) & ABC Classic FM (Australia) - The Sunday opera this week on both stations is the Met's abbreviated one-act Magic Flute in English (first broadcast in December), with Ying Huang, Erika Miklósa, Frank Lopardo, Nathan Gunn, and Morris Robinson, conducted by James Levine.
- Radio Cultura - On Sunday afternoon, the Met broadcast of the 1956 Lucia di Lammermoor with Maria Callas.
- Concertzender - It's De Diva op de Erwt program will be featuring Erika Köth and Rita Streich. The opera that follows, which has not yet been announced, will most likely feature one or both of these ladies, and may be an archival live offering, so stay tuned.
- RDP Antena 2 - On Sunday afternoon will be offering a November 2005 Berlin performance of Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito, with Mark Padmore, Alexandrina Pendatchanska, Bernarda Fink and Marue-Claude Chappuis, conducted by René Jacobs.
- Musiq3 - Which has just done a major overhaul of its schedule, is now offering it's opera on Sunday afternoons. The week it's the October 2006 performance of Verdi's Otello from the Vienna State Opera, with Johan Botha, Falck Struckmann and Krassimira Stoyanova, Daniele Gatti.
- WHRB - Is in the final week of it's Orgy ® season. Sunday afternoon, in memory of Anna Russell, who died this past year, they offer a two-hour Anna Russell Orgy ® - hear yet again her classic Gilbert and Sullivan and Ring Cycle routines, among other things.... Enjoy!
Labels: Saturday Operas